13 September 2009

Perfection

I'm not the world's largest fan of Cabaret songs.  They tend to sound alike to me, and with no context surrounding them, they can feel vague and a little shallow.  Yes, this is a sweeping generalization based, no doubt, on hearing more bad examples than good ones.  Perhaps if more were akin to the following, I would be a bigger fan.

Recorded by Audra McDonald on her HOW GLORY GOES album (which is probably the finest album of its kind), "I Won't Mind" (music by Jeff Blumenkrantz, lyric by Annie Kessler and Libby Saines) is a masterful bit of storytelling.  In just 4 minutes, a rich and complicated woman is created.  I believe it was Tommy Tune who used to say that, in a musical, "you have to deal them out slowly."  I love how the details of "Lizzie's" relationship with the child to whom she sings are doled out bit by bit, verse by verse.  I also love that--unlike 87% of other such songs--this isn't to or about a romantic interest, past or present.  If you've never heard this before, you're in for a treat.  If you have, it's still glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment