23 June 2008

Happy As a Clam (Dinner)

Fred's Shantyis conveniently located down the road from my dorm. It was brought to my attention when a kind associate offered to show me and a coupla interns around town, just to give us a sense of what else was out there, besides the well traveled path between our dorm building, and The O'Neill Proper. Due to it's close proximity, it was the first attraction mentioned by the guide. Once he said the words "deep fried" "seafood" and "delicious", the rest of the tour became hominahominahomina as I imagined what wonders this potential local treasure held in store...that is, until we stopped at an Amazing Ice Cream Place, and I ate a scoop of banana as big as my head.

Throughout the week, visions of deep fried clams ran through my head. I don't have a lifelong history of loving deep fried clams, but something in my gut told me Fred would do right by me, and fried clams. And Oprah always says "trust your gut". Now, 4 hours after eating, my gut has not betrayed its confidence, and look at all it led me to:



It was perfect. The chowder has the perfect texture and consistency--not too heavy, not too watery--with perfectly sized ingredients (shout out to the potato chopper) and a touch of sweetness. The clam strips themselves are tender, hot, never chewy. So good I didn't mind being handed Kraft Tartar Sauce tubs. (Seriously, they couldn't at least put it in a little paper ramekin so I could believe they make their own?) Th fries were thin, crispy and well seasoned. The generous drop of cole slaw was also delicious, if twice as much as any one person would ever need. Even their fountain soda was fizzy and delicious (and at a place like that, you expect flat, warm, and miserable...so much so that I almost didn't bother to order it).

Well done Fred. You can expect me the next three Mondays. And, as much as I am enjoying myself here, and the people I'm working with and the projects I'm working on, when I board that train/bus/whatever on July 20th, I think I will miss Fred most of all.

1 comment:

  1. so jealous! but i'm glad to see someone other than me was able to find fried clams on a beach vacation. (i just spent a fried-clamless weekend in atlantic city.)

    ReplyDelete