31 May 2009

Interesting Article About PL Travers

In reading a piece about a new documentary coming out about the Sherman Brothers (who wrote the music for MARY POPPINS among other things), I stumbled upon an anecdote detailing PL Travers' (author of the POPPINS books) dissapproval of the Disney movie. A few googleseconds later I was at an article from the NEW YORKER, published shortly after the stage version opened in London. Why struck me most about the article was how much of an empresario and visionary Walt Disney was. I wish this kind of producing still existed--where someone knows the property they want to develop, how it should develop, and who should develop it. I also want to see this Sherman Brothers movie. Those guys wrote some great music over the years (I'm particularly partial to their music for BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS), and if I don't necessarily think they're one of the greatest song-writing teams in the lexicon, they're prolific, and deserving of reconition.

Now for a PETE'S DRAGON tell all...


No comments:

Post a Comment