09 May 2009

Saturdays are for Happy Songs

I have just decided that I should devote every Saturday to a song that makes me really happy, and I can't think of a better kick off song than "Rothschild and Sons". I love Bock and Harnick, they are hands down my favorite Golden Era songwriting force, and though I occaisionally hold some resentment towards THE ROTHSCHILDS (I consider it their Yoko), I find it a fascinating a tuneful score. I could probably write a thesis on it, and have, in fact, considered going to Grad School simply to give me the opportunity to do that. But I'll save that for later. In the meantime, just enjoy this song, which makes me want to strut around in high waisted pants, thumbs in my lapels (or under my armpits) elbows out bobbing back and forth a little. I can listen to this forever. I would even go so far as to call it a "Desert Island" song. I may have now set the bar of expectations a little high for a song whose pleasures are still rather simple, but I hope it brings your joy.

Click Here to listen to "Roschild and Sons" from the Original Cast Recording, featuring Hal Linden, Paul Hecht, David Garfield, Allan Gruet, Timothy Jerome, and Chris Sarandon

No comments:

Post a Comment