30 April 2009

Musical Theater is Everywhere

Being a musical theater fan can be lonely when you enter the wider world of pop culture. You really feel off the grid, as it were. With WILL & GRACE off the air, tv doesn't make show-tunes jokes, and the blogersphere (aside from those specifically devoted to it) tends can rarely be convinced to mention it. But Overheard in New York did have the following amusing MT-related post that just made my heart sing:


Young man: So I told her, "shut the hell up, you fucking bitch!"
Older woman: Jeez, how many times can you be in a homicidal rage over
musical theater?--A Train


I particularly enjoy this quoteation because I can relate. In fact, if I hadn't known for a fact that it's been weeks (if not months) since I've ridden the A-train I would have wondered if I was the Young Man in question. Recently a friend from high school (who was a little bit in love with me at the time...it didn't work out, natch) sent me an excerpt from her HS-era livejournal in which she recounted a conversation we had about international warfare starting because of violent reactions to the SIDE SHOW original cast recording.

In answer to Older Woman's question--the day folks like me STOP finding themselves in a homicidal rage over musical theater marks the death of the industry, and it won't happen on my watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment